Precisely one week ago, my dear friend and fellow blogger (who my husband now refers to as my "new girlfriend"), Kate, nominated me for a Liebster Award. What does that mean? I better quote it, because I can't rely on my memory: The Liebster blog Award is an award given from bloggers to bloggers that are small to medium in size or up and coming in the blogsphere. Liebster is German for 'favorite.' The award is a way to give beginning bloggers some worthy attention, make conections and let readers learn a little more about you." Thank you, Kate! I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy. In order to accept the award, I must answer 11 questions challenged by Kate. After you read over my answers, check out my girlfriend's always thigh-slapping hilarity at Nested.
1. What did you want to be when you "grew up"? At age 4: Queen. Age 5: Ballerina. Age 6: Waitress. Reality set in quickly for me in elementary school.
2. What's your guilty pleasure? A pint of (no, sadly, not bourbon) Graeter's Mocha Chip and HGTV. I know. Whoooooooo!
3. If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be? No offense, my sweet girlfriend, but I hate this question. Why would I want to have dinner with a corpse? Also, I'm terrible at small talk and given the opportunity to have dinner with an alive-and-only-slightly-deranged Virginia Woolf, I would most likely smile a lot and say I like her books. I tried chatting with David Sedaris while he signed my books once and he a.) had nothing to offer and b.) wrote this in my book: "Dear Amy, thank you for making me rich." Famous people are dicks.
4. How do you take your coffee? How many people answer this with the Airplane joke? Lately, with a splash of almond milk because I'm wild like that. I also am beginning an elimination diet which will have me eschewing most dairy (which I already do, minus the Graeter's Mocha Chip, because that stuff is crack), gluten, and soy. I'll be the frightened woman in the corner gnawing on cardboard.
5. Do you believe in ghosts? No, but I love a good ghost story. My daughter is reading a great one, the first book of The Books of Elsewhere: The Shadows, by Jacqueline West. Click on that link! The music is worth the effort.
|photo: amazon.com (but you can find it in your local independent bookstore, which I recommend)|
7. If you could accomplish only one thing in 2013, what would it be? Develop an actual writing routine, something I do regularly, at a time that is sacred. No exceptions. Failing that, I'd like to get either my essay collection or memoir in good enough shape to shop around to agents and/or editors.
8. Cats or dogs? I am highly allergic to cats and have always thought of myself as a dog person; however, my terrier rescue has me leaning towards cats. They are quiet and snuggly and very low-maintenance. But the constant wheezing and swollen eyes would be a pain. I'm going to have to go with a narrow definition here: I am a BIG dog person. I like them big, loveable, lazy, and dumb (just like my men -- see, I did a bait and switch on the Airplane joke).
9. What animal best represents your personality and why? I believe a picture can answer this question best.
|Yoo-hoo! Follow my blog!|
10. Are you afraid of the dark? Only at night. (Actually, I love the dark because dark = sleepy time.)
11. Paper or plastic? Are we discussing grocering or something more personal? I prefer cloth, then aluminum sheeting, followed by the woven hair of all of my pets.
I believe I am supposed to pass on the Liebster Award to other deserving blogs, but because I'm still networking in the blogosphere, all of my nominees either have one already or keep more private blogs. I will hold onto this award for later and award the deserving who I will discover and love in 2013 (another goal for the new year: invest in the blogging community!).
My parting words will be a gauche plea for you to follow my blog. I have 18 awesome followers (thank you, all!). If you ever read my blog on Facebook or SheWrites, even if it is only on occasion (and that's fine, I'm not asking for a Faustian commitment) PLEASE FOLLOW MY BLOG! Why? Because one day when I send off my book proposal, an editor or agent will look up ADDled and see I only have 18 (wonderful) followers and am therefore insubstantial, a risky bet, and a sad little writer coasting on a pipe dream. Boost my numbers and I become a playa!