I can't answer why my husband stays married to me. He's kind of an agnostic saint.
Okay, so we've established that this will be my first BlogHer Conference. What is BlogHer and why are they having a conference and who cares, you may ever so rudely inquire? BlogHer is an aggregator blog site for women bloggers who want community and a bigger readership. The annual conference brings thousands of blogging ladies together for an estrogenfest to learn about marketing, technical skills (SEO, Wordpress), pitching, and networking among other panels, workshops, keynotes, and dance parties. I'm both excited and keeping calm, carrying on, and whatnot. I've been to two AWP (Association of Writing Professionals) conferences so I know the madness that awaits me and my kooky crew. I also have heard that some women are freaking out over what shoes to bring so they can have a cute shoe-off or something. Me, I'm tempted to bring my vibram five-fingers, some ratty t-shirts and sweatpants. I'm so not about the cute shoe-off. Oh, I have cute shoes, they just are orthopedic.
|Look out BlogHer, I've got Vibram mary janes and I'm not afraid to wear them!|
Here's what's going to happen this weekend:
- Kate, Jennifer, and I will be posting our before and after posts (consider this the before post).
- If we get a break or skip lunch one day, we'll publish a during post.
- We will take photos and possibly put them on Instagram (LitMama12, if you're so inclined) and Twitter (AmyMMiller1), maybe Facebook (ADDled).
- Kate will be making us a nifty "BlogHer Virgin" badge for our blogs. Why? Because she is awesome.
- We will be tired and goofy and overwhelmed and manic, so the blogging will be quite possibly insane.
- We will meet friendly and interesting people.
- We will ogle Queen Latifa at the Voices of the Year banquet.
- I will also ogle MacArthur "genius" Fellowship, Majora Carter, because I'm a nerd and really admire her.
Here's NOT what's going to happen this weekend:
- Participating in a cute shoe-off.
- Talking about the royal birth. (Sorry, don't care.)
- Talking about politics. (Probably best not to piss people off then hand them my business card.)
- Schmoozing. (I refuse.)
- Streaking. (I'm going to leave this as more of a maybe.)
Okay, BlogHer, show me what you got.